Are There Hidden Dangers with PEX Plumbing?
PEX or Cross Linked Polyethylene pipes have become a trend setter from last few years. It is the major and foremost choice of the plumbers for both, remodeling projects and new constructions, as well. Due to the supple trait of the pipes, it can easily diminish the amount of effort and money required in the entire plumbing process. Though, the pipe is made up of plastic, there are also few hidden dangers bracketed together with it.
- • Due to the impermeable crust penetrated by pollutants in PEX plumbing, it leads to water pollution. This crust can possibly permit bacteria to travel through the pipe that causes water pollution. These bacteria can cause diseases and sometimes death also.
- • Being a plastic product, PEX piping is precisely static and also polyethylene does not percolate into water. Chemicals, such as phthalate, that filter from plastic can leak into water systems.
- • The pipe can cost you much, if it is not installed by professionals who know the basics of installing PEX piping and tubing.
- • PEX piping is well-known for its flexibility and features, but the major danger comes during its fitting. If the fitting is made of copper or brass, then the possibility of corrosion from the water increases, especially on the hot water line.
- • It is also important that you should protect PEX pipes or tubes from Ultra Violet rays of the sun. Leaving it out in the open for long can cause corrosion and pipes can get rupture.
PEX is regarded as the safest product and is used in many domestic and commercial areas. It is the cheaper and easier to install, as compared to copper. It can easily defend against freeze breakage, than rigid plastic pipe or copper.
By avoiding the above mentioned issues, you can safely install PEX plumbing. It is also important to hire a professional plumber who has full knowledge about the installation, repair and other factors related to PEX plumbing. Somehow, it is difficult for a general plumber to install PEX and give satisfactory answers of all your queries.